Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Racism In The Classroom



Is Racism in the classroom improving or getting worse?

Unfortunately racism in the classroom does take place but there are ways to get past this. I see it all of the time especially with younger children, they don't really know how to react to other children of a different race. I feel as though it is not their fault at an early age because they should be taught about the subject and be involved in different activities that will make them comfortable with different situations. I do remember when I was younger there was a lot of racism in school. Some children would be very mean to other children of a different race and make fun of them and exclude them from all different activities. I feel as though this can be changed though. I found a great website, (http://www.edchange.org/multicultural/papers/racism_morgan.html) that really caught my eye in dealing with some of these issues. There are many different ways a teacher can deal with the issue of race. They can do different activities in small groups so the children can get a better understanding of other peoples background. They can create posters and present them to the rest of the class, therefore other students can start asking questions about the different cultural backgrounds. I know that racism is a tough subject but if the right connections are made with children then they can have a completely different view on culture than they do now.

No comments:

Post a Comment